AngelFood gets so many requests for ways to use zucchini in August, I thought I'd send a few recipes to my loyal listeners!!
|4 cups (about 1 3/4 pounds) coarsely ground or chopped zucchini
1 1/2 cups (about 1/2 pound) coarsely ground or chopped onions
1 1/2 cups coarsely ground or chopped red, or mixed red and green bell peppers (from about 2 large or 3 to 4 small peppers)
|1 1/2 Tablespoons pickling salt
1 3/4 cups vinegar
1 teaspoon celery seed
|1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
7 thin slices fresh ginger
Seven 1-inch cinnamon sticks
- In a bowl, mix the zucchini, onions, peppers, and salt. Cover the vegetables with cold water. Let them stand 2 hours. Drain and rinse the vegetables, and drain them again.
In a nonreactive pot, bring to a boil the sugar, vinegar, and celery with mustard seeds, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add the vegetables and bring them to a boil. Reduce the heat. Simmer the vegetables 10 minutes.
- While the vegetables simmer, divide the ginger and cinnamon among pint or half-pint mason jars, allotting one piece of each for each half-pint.
- Ladle the hot relish into the jars, allowing 1/4-inch headspace. Close the jars with hot two-piece caps. To ensure a good seal, process the jars for 10 minutes in a boiling-water bath.
- Store the cooled jars in a cool, dry, dark place for at least 3 weeks before eating the relish.
Makes 3 1/2 pints.
Source: The Joy of Pickling by Linda Ziedrich ($15.95 Harvard Common Press)
Curried Zucchini Soup
|2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon curry powder
|sea salt to taste
4 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and
cut into 1 inch slices
1 quart chicken stock
Makes 6 servings.
- Heat the oil in a large pot. Stir in the onion, and season with curry powder and salt. Cook and stir until onion is tender. Stir in zucchini, and cook until tender. Pour in the chicken stock. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat. Use a hand blender, or transfer in batches to a blender, and blend until almost smooth.
Jewels Quelly www.angelfoodpcs.com (Get our free e-zine by signing up at our website!)
Graduate of The Culinary Institute of America Certified Personal Chef
AngelFood Personal Chef Service and Catering Company
A division of Jewels Quelly Enterprises, LLC
Washington, New Jersey 07882
Email: email@example.com (908)